Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Birkie Class 12 Week 1 Soft…like me.







Good news, most folks I talked with thought last night was a little easy. Technically there were some challenges but physically everyone seemed in pretty good shape. The positive thing is that concepts like core strength, balance and muscle memory are rapidly developed. As we start out there will be a learning curve so don't panic if it is confused or if you feel it too easy/hard, it gets better.
Every week we may add or delete a particular event but count on an incessant harping, cajoling, badgering and imploring concerning "ski-core" . Having a strong core is not only important but knowing how to engage it to your advantage while skiing is critical. Muscle memory is also a focus. The ability to do a repetitive stroke (perfectly) is really a big deal. I can demonstrate great technique but the ability to do it when under the bag of exhaustion is what it's all about. Expect a lot of nagging about proper technique, I'm fussy. One of the best features of a group is that you will do things and work harder than when alone. I am certain that having others to feed off of will make you better. Take advantage of this group, there are some good things happening there. Expect a fast ramp up in transition times, we will have much less loiter time (groan here).
Housekeeping: Things went pretty smooth. I expect to come up with a better step arrangement by next week, my new setup sucked. Jeenyuss I'm not. If you have a favorite mat or gear please bring it. Try and arrive early. Every week we need to set up and I would like to get started at 6:00 pm sharp so we get done on time, I need my beauty sleep. Check out this skier by the way, neat, fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMXeoeJRjk&feature=player_detailpage

Homework: Some videos to watch when you should be working.



Unless you were rock steady on the "wood" (nobody) I would spend some time doing some of the same balance drills in front of a mirror or dark window. It makes corrections in real time, your body leans fast! You still need to get out and workout. Run, rollerski, bike, swim but make the effort and keep it aerobic, consider this your strength workout. The Birkie is 12 weeks away, plenty of time and just around the corner at the same time.
All in all I am happy. The break in period went well. I learned some stuff and we will be ready to ramp it up next week. Get hydrated, do your homework and I'll see you at 5:54pm. Watch this for a little motivation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hAJCRARuUk and be sure to include the Ashwaubenon Nicolet Nor-Ski http://skiwithanst.org/2011/2012-nicolet-norski on your wish list of races.

No comments: