Wednesday, March 11, 2009


Birkie Class 2009
The Final Report

It is raining as I write this and it may well be the ski seasons epitaph. Today marks the 100th day of skiable snow in Green Bay. Last year we saw a similar season with over a hundred days of skiing, I could get used to that. I always get excited over new snow, even when I’m ready to see summer; a late season storm comes in and gives us one more taste of snow. You have to admit that a snowstorm is pretty cool, even if it throws a curve into our life.

The Birkie Training Group is now over but not the friendships that formed and strengthened over the course of the winter. Toiling together always makes things easier. I am always surprised why folks subject themselves to that much punishment, not the least of which is listening to me. It is probably that the hardest days are easier when shared. I don’t think I ever did a hillbounding workout alone. Oh I’ve jumped up a few bumps but a full blown workout up a hill by myself? I just could not do it. Suffering is a lot easier if you have someone suffering along with you.

So where do we go next? Spring is that blah time of year for me. Save that “rebirth and renew” stuff for later. Spring means cold, windy and wet with a little more wind thrown in for good measure. I dread to think about what the voles have done to my grass under the snow all winter. I want to ride my bike but I know from years of experience that road salt brine and bikes do not like each other. Did I mention that I am a sissy when it comes to riding in the cold? 84 degrees, a sleeveless jersey and smooth shaved legs are my cup of ice tea. Riding trainers are an option but only slightly more agreeable than a speeding ticket and so for now I will limp along doing what we can, be it late season crust skiing (one of natures finest inventions) or short mid afternoon “to the mailbox” rides.

I hope everyone can find something too. Triathlons are getting huge and in a few months Tri season will be in full swing. Tri’s are great because you don’t have to be stellar at any one thing and even a Sprint Distance Triathlon takes over 75 plus minutes, good for us old and slowtimers. Now would be a good time to get in that pool. If you are like me Tri’s would be Wade-Bike-Run events. Pool time and even a lesson or two would go a long way come summer. Besides it is always 72 degrees in the pool.

We all need goals and staying in shape, while a good goal, is not always easy. Pick a couple of events to do. Races or tours, even if done casually are often enough to get you out the door but for most it comes down to having a friend to do things with. My best workouts have always included friends. It was easier to get out of the sack knowing my partner would be waiting or that the last set up the hill would not get blown off because my friend would have continued. The best thing about the Birkie Training Group was not the workout but the friends that are formed, renewed and strengthened. Have a good summer, add a mile for me and remember what a great year we had.

No comments: