Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Birkie Class 12-22-09 Saturday Night Gun Show





Scotty tells me with some authority that we are going harder than last year. Normally I dismiss that kind of talk as a bad case of sissyrolis but as a recent Ironman finisher I take Scott seriously. It may not change anything but I feel your pain….a little. The efforts are strong but you must believe me when I say that it is more about technique and less about brute force. I know that some find that a little hard to believe especially after witnessing the All American Gun Show last night but trust me, if an old fart like me can do it, anyone can. Note Steves HRM strip. How he inflates that graph I'll never know. It almost seems likes he is working hard.
As homework this week your first job is to go back to last weeks post and review the Keith Nichols video, that is always a good watch. Then before you go skiing look at this video of some specific strength double poling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2KzZ_v_4_8
Double poling a little every day is technically dynamic and will build the explosive strength we need for skiing all in a “skiciphic” manner. Double poling also lets you focus on other things than guiding the ski and lets your “balance muscles” recover somewhat. This is good to do in the last Km or so of a workout. Another part of your homework is to get that 1st or 2nd OD workout of the year in. OD means overdistance and is a great time to refine technique and perfect your strokes. OD does not mean stop and chat, drink or look at your map for a couple minutes every 10k’s. Keep it easy, stay focused and keep going. Don’t train to take breaks; your body will come to expect them. (I know, what a slave driver)
Erick Wickum once again has some great shots at http://www.flickr.com/photos/incomp/?saved=1 and then go and pump the guns up with a little http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCKtHoGHRU .
Have a great Christmas, drive careful and be ready to go next Tue. as we have our last class of 2009 at 5:56PM.

We will start some testing next week but expect it may take several weeks to get it all in.

No comments: