Monday, February 28, 2011

Birkie Wrap Up. March 1 and Beyond.




Brrrrrrrrrrr...... from minus 9 to only plus 6 it was one of the coldest Birkies ever. The good news was that for most it was still one of the fastest as well. It was only about 2-3% slower than last year and the depth of the field was much stronger. The classic race produced fast times, pushing the skaters which is expected in cold hard conditions. The good news was that it was not really a wax race as there were several formulas that produced good results and most folks knew in advance what to use.

I don't think I ever saw as much frostbite before in my life. Estimates were that one in four skiers had some nip on their skin. The medical people were dealing with a constant flow of frosted skin and extremities in addition to the normal fatigue and cramps. They sure earned their keep on race day. I saw numerous cracked lips and bloody noses as well as the occasional pole plant to the face. A hearty thanks should go out to the volunteers who literally survived a long day to make sure everyone got home safe and happy, don't hesitate to send a note of thanks to the folks at the Birkie, the race would not happen without them.

Despite the challenging conditions the race itself was great. It went off as planned and the course was in great shape and times were good. I am always impressed by how hard an event this is and the determinationof it's participants, from the jubilation of the winners to the physical release that occurs when skiers cross that finish line. I watched a woman cross the line crying and as she stood there I asked her if she was alright. She said she was fine, that she was just so happy to be there. I understood. I got to watch my ten year old son Hans ski the Junior Birkie for the first time this year. He was Mr. Intensity before the race but he sure had his eyes opened wide by some of the older kids. He wore my old team jacket in warm ups and Deb's old uni suit. Deb surprised me by asking if I thought he looked like me when I was a kid. I guess he does, it sure does take me back. I sure hope he likes it as he grows up so I get to watch him come skiing up Main Street. There are few events that command as much repeat loyalty as does this race and I hope he felt a twinge of that this weekend. I know I did.

Congratulations to everyone this year. You are part of something that is bigger than any one person. The history and the trials of this race make it special beyond words and I'm glad you are all a part of it.

No comments: