Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Birkie Class Final T is for Technique


Twenty three weeks ago about 30 skiers started a ski season by bounding up the hill at Bairds Creek that will culminate this weekend at the 39th running of the Birkie. It
was a tough year for training, probably the worst I have seen in 38 years of
ski racing. I don’t know about anyone else but I now believe in global warming
more than ever.

There are three things I hope you remember as you toe the line on Saturday. Virtually everyone is technically much better than they were a year ago. As we age we concede physical prowess
but technical skills can always improve. Given a choice between being 10% physically
better and 10% technically improved I’ll take skill. ** A big motor does you no
good if you are tumbling down Snowmo Corner on your back! I have a good
perspective on skier’s technical skills and you will have to take my word for
it: It’s pretty darn good. Now it’s up to you to take advantage of it.

This year more than ever it will be crucial that you ski within yourself. Good technique comes from your brain sending the right message to the various muscles. Go too far in debt and
the message slows down, your stride shrinks and you then waste even more energy
and pretty soon your brain is sending out SOS signals. Watch the effort level
and keep it together mentally.

Lastly remember that this is not as much a race as a lifestyle. We chose to do this event to reaffirm the choices we make to be healthy, active and positive. How you do in the race is secondary and if you fall short of your goals there will always be next year but by
finishing you will have achieved the biggest goal and been part of something
that you can remember forever.

So, great year folks. I am working on some things and will keep in touch. The weather looks good, the snow promises to be fast and I look forward to seeing you at the finish. Well done.

** I can back that up statistically, just ask me.

No comments: