Thursday, May 17, 2012



It's been a while since we checked in last. The Tuesday Night Ride TNR is has been going and here at the store we are crazy busy. This has been a great spring with some up's and down but mostly up. The Cellcom Marathon is this weekend  and is adding a little excitment to the mix. Things are looking up and here is a review of this weeks TNR by our resident Master's Master Steve Peplinski.

As always; Stay on Two.


With only 9 riders of varying ability, keeping the group together was going to require some thought and effort. But we were up to the task, and everyone (except maybe Dan, who could have ridden away from the rest of us any time the mood struck) had their share of hard efforts and challenges. Dan led us out on Luxemburg road, and at 20 MPH, he must have felt like he was riding sweep at the Titletown Bike tour because he kept ramping up the speed. Before we knew it, we were touching 26 and echeloning across the road to deal with the cross wind coming out of the north. A quick glance backwards revealed a couple of riders off the back. Mark and I passed the word to try to avoid exceeding 21, and to my surprise people actually listened. The riding got a little tougher when we hit Rondezvous Road because we were riding straight into a 15 MPH headwind. It helped a little to hide behind Wayne or Mark, but I always felt the wind! We crossed highway 54 together, and gathered ourselves for the assault on the biggest hill on Rendezvous Road. With Dan off the front again, I charged to the front of our little peloton and gave it my best effort, thinking that as I approached the crest, Mark or Curt would shoot by to mockingly claim "KOM" honors. But no one did. Such was the ferocity of the headwind. On the flats, we didn't do a particularly good job of maintaining a steady pace or tight line. But I noticed that masters biker extraordinaire, Gil, was always tightly latched on to either Mark or Wayne's wheel. He knew what it took to avoid getting dropped.

When we got to the hill just before Thiry Daems Road, I announced that I didn't plan to lead up the hill again. But as the peloton slowed, I couldn't help myself. I didn't want to give up all my momentum just to tuck in, so I was fighting the wind in front again. As the road flattened out just before the turn, our speed had dropped below 12 mph. I know I was going as fast as I could. Everyone needed some recovery spinning. We were all glad to turn westward so that our only problem would be the cross wind. It was a pleasant cruise down Thiry Daems and subsequently Mary's road. Gravel Pit road brought another headwind, but since it's downhill almost all the way, it was easy to deal with. The payoff came on Nicolet drive. we had the luxury of a tailwind as we practiced our high speed tucks rolling downhill towards the final climb on Benderville hill. I watched Mark sprint out early to try to get a jump on Dan, Curt and I. Dan and Curt followed on his wheel, but I didn't think it was time to go just yet. I hit it hard as the road began to rise. I thought I was actually closing on them for a while, but as I slowed to 21.5 MPH at the crest, they were 50 yards down the road, and long gone if they so chose. But they waited for me, and the 4 of us cruised home taking turns pulling. We all knew where we stood in the pecking order. At the city limits sign, Dan slowly accelerated away from us to claim the traditional green sign sprint title. Mark gave chase, but Curt and I could see him give up just before they reached the sign. As we headed past UWGB, Curt took the lead, and pulled us along at 24 to 25 mph for a good long way. When Dan and Mark pulled out to contest the final sprint to the I43 underpass, Curt laughingly said to me "and they didn't even say thanks for the lead out!". I told him I'd give him a lead out to the underpass, and sure enough, as I spun up to my limit (about 28 mph), he jumped past me, beat me to the finish, and threw his arms in the air in victory.

We had no sooner turned in to the parking lot when Gil showed up about a quarter mile back. So Gil, I think you need a 15 pound bike. Then you'll not get dropped again!

Steve

1 comment: